Repeatable Success for Sales Development Reps with Brendan Barrett #188
There is a growing trend for companies to separate business development from deal closing. We’re talking about two different people: One person setting up appointments the Sales Development Reps (SDR) and the other is the closer. In this episode our guest Brendan Barrett and I walk through the SDR process with it’s pros and cons. We do some roleplaying in order to show practical advice for anyone prospecting and trying to set up an appointment.
What and Why an SDR?
SDR stands for Sales Development Reps – appointment setters, prospectors and cold callers. Brendon calls the the Roller to the Closer . This is different than the traditional inside sales (an order taker). This is all outbound sales and Business Development. They are sometimes called Business Development Reps or BDR.
More efficient for closers, who can be closing deals daily vs spending time in the office setting up their own meetings.
Downside of SDRs.
- Details get dropped
- Having a process imperative
What Makes For SDR Success?
- Entry level position
- Hungry, coachable, naturally curious
In this section we walked through the SDR process and gave practical examples for the Listeners.
- Create a relationship
- Use LinkedIn to prospect
- Reach out to sescretary
- Take 2-5 touches to get a meeting
- Create a dialogue (conversation)
- “I’m looking for people who set up your brown bag discussions
- “I saw your post on LinkedIn and I’m curious about it …..
- Could be set up on Facebook, Messenger, LinkedIn or email
- Always wish somebody a good day, that opens up people
- Prospecting is market research
- Some deals take years, hand off slow deals to marketing to keep them warm
- Laws of attraction applies by showing interest. Create curiosity, get them to ask you about you
- Be skeptical, don’t assume they are qualified
- Ideally you want them to see the value and self qualify
- Win permission to sell
- Make a phone call about them
- “How was the weekend, what do you have going on this week
- If you met at a conference, start there, “what’s your next conference on your calendar
- Introduction to Closer
- Sounds like we could work with you well but I’m not the right person
Take Action Advice
Nice guys win and smarter guys win more!
How To Find Brendan Barrett
- Go to the Start In Phoenix website www.startinphx.com
- Business of Family and Selling Podcast startinphx.com/family
- From there you can download the Double my Revenue 7 day Sales Challenge
- @StartInPhx on Instagram
- StartInPhx on Facebook
- @StartInPhx on Twitter
Support our Sponsor Bluehost
Sales babble is brought to you by Bluehost. Take your idea and start your business online. Sales Babblers can start for only $3.95/month
- FREE Domain
- Free Site Builders
- 1-Click WordPress Install
- 24×7 support
Special intro offer and 30-day money-back guarantee
Powering over 2 million websites worldwide
How to Prospect and Generate Leads
Other great episodes on business development. Listen today!
- 7 LinkedIn Strategies for Generating Qualified Leads with Janis Pettit #176
- Why Qualifying Prospects is Like Selling To Zebras with Jeff Koser #171
- 7 Healthy Phone Habits to Get First Meetings with Marylou Tyler #150
- Myths on Social Selling with Mark Hunter #142
- How to Power Prospect with LinkedIn Groups with Liam Austin #135
- How to Sell Big Clients and Win Tremendous Deals with Melinda Chen #114
- How To Be An Awesome Sales Professional with Thomas Ellis #102
- Sales For Start-ups with Mano Behera
- How to Assume Rapport when Prospecting with Ken Dunn #90
- How To Generate Sales Leads Using LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter