In this episode we talk about how sellers can create connections with buyers through questions. Deb Calvert, is the host of the Connect Online Radio podcast for selling professionals. She is also the 2014 Top Sales & Marketing Influencer and author of the DISCOVER Questions™ book series. As President of People First Productivity Solutions, she helps organizations boost productivity through people development. This work includes leadership training, strategic executive planning, team effectiveness work, and performance management program design.
We question, questioning! Deb has a process called DISCOVER, great questions sellers can ask to connect with prospective buyers.
In This Episode
Deb believes there are eight purposes people can frame questions. She calls them DISCOVER. They are:
- Data – Just want the facts question
- Issue – Concern or complaint you invite sharing question “Tell me more about that…”
- Solution – Collaboration question,“Tell me about how others in your industry address this problem.” instigates brainstorming and allows the sellers to get feedback on what the buyer perceives as great solutions, ideas you can feed back to the buyer.
- Consequence – Fear questions “What happens if you don’t meet your goals?”
- Outcome – Hopes questions “Where do see your business in one year?”
- Value – Understand buyers hierarchy of needs “What’s most urgent for you?”
- Example – Compare contrast questions “How does this compare with other possibilities?”
- Rationale – Decision making questions “Walk me through your process, how will you come to your decision?”
Be purposeful in your conversation she coaches. We can always get better at asking questions. Not just messy fishing questions, but purposeful questions that advance the sale. The world has changed and buyers expect more from sellers. Because they have so much information, they don’t want to be sold the old way.
Deb teaches that questions engage people. They provide an opportunity to be heard. This requires skill in listening and to stay in the moment.
Items of Interest
Below are the links mentioned in the in the podcast. Don’t miss it!
- This is Deb’s website People First Productivity Solutions.
- This is her book DISCOVER Questions Get You Connected: for professional sellers Go here to get a signed copy!
- Connect Online Radio This a weekly online radio show for selling professionals
- Connect to Sell post
- Connect to Lead post
Got a Question?
Read my posts on LinkedIn here www.LinkedIn.com/in/patrickhelmers
I’ll review your cold calling script! Leave a question and I’ll respond! Also I really appreciate your support and sharing what we do with friends and colleagues. If you would like to share the love on Twitter, click here.
We can teach you to find your voice in sales! Start here.