Our guest today is Jeff Koser, author of the book “Selling to Zebras”. Jeff believes that good prospects should be as easy to spot as a zebra. Far too many sellers have no idea what problems they solve for their clients. They can’t distinguish a hot prospect from zoo animal. That’s the topic for today and what you can do know your perfect client and get results.
What’s a Zebra?
If you don’t know your ideal client (your Zebra), sales, business development and marketing are going to be misaligned. Nor will you be able to connect with Power, what Jeff calls the sole person who can decide to buy without checking the budget. The goal here is to only be selling to zebras.
Build your Zebra – Define your ideal client and design your avatar. Use
7 attributes, score each attribute 0-4 with red yellow green. The high score is 28
- 0-16 is in the red (you’re never going to make the sales)
- 17-22 is in yellow (you’re deal is in trouble, you’re not selling to zebras)
- 23-28 is in green (you’ve earned the right to ask for the business)
- organizational profile
Voice of the Customer – find the person who can buy without a budget. Discover THEIR problem and solve it. Power focuses on cost avoidance. Ask your current customers what problem you solved when they came on board. Find out what value you bring. Build a business case why someone should buy from you
Business Case – the Value Proposition. This process forces you to do your homework. Identify why they are your zebra, you’ve build a business case for your product, now you can frame your product in Power’s context.
How to Find Jeff Koser
Jeff’s company is Selling To Zebras:
- Go to www.SellingtoZebras.com
- Get a free copy of the book. They charge for shipping only.
- The Voice of the Customer book is a free eBook download
Take Action Advice
Don’t give up. If you have a dream the single biggest difference between succeeding and failing is your willing to continue to persevere.
SlideBean in the Media
Please take a moment to support our sponsor Slidebean. This is the free cloud-based presentation tool that is storming the business world with head turning content is being lauded by the press:
- Slidebean Presentations that Design themselves
- YouTube Slidebean Presentation
- Startup Slidebean Launch
- Terrific Slidebean article by Hongkiat
- Slidebean review on FinancesOnline
- Slidebean on Facebook
- Slidebean on Twitter
- Slidebean on LinkedIn
Take a moment at visit Slidebean and get your free account today!
Ideal Clients, Avatars and Value Proposition Examples
Here are past episode you just might find addicting. Grow your sales today!
- How Value Propositions Bring Value to Your Business #167
- Wizard of Oz Sales Process with Steve Kloyda #137
- How to Sell Big Clients and Win Tremendous Deals with Melinda Chen #114
- How to Create Value During a Sale with George Iacullo #91
- The Myth of Know Like Trust #74
- How To Build Your Value Proposition with Lisa Dennis #48
- Discovering Your Ideal Client Avatar #40
- SB013 | Winning Customers by Building Profits, an interview with Bob Rickert