Brandon Bruce grew up in a tiny California town of 800 people where he only had one classmate at a school with outhouses as their bathroom. He went from these humble beginnings to now Cofounding and growing Cirrus Insight to $12 million in revenue and #41 on the Inc. 500 list (after a six-year rollercoaster of sales success and setbacks). Today Brandon and I discuss what’s not working in sales today.
Times Have Changed for Sales
Cold emailing and cold calling still work, but not as well as in the past. The internet is changing consumers behavior. They are spending more time alone shopping and comparing before calling the sales line. It used to be that growing a big email lists was the path to success. But it doesn’t work as well as it did in the past. People can smell a pitch a mile away. A small list of targeted prospects is better.
Sales Solutions That May Work
Be eminently reachable – post your calendar online and let people find a spot that works for them.
Use email prudently asking for advice and help if you’re a startup:
- Hi I’m a founder like you,
- I’ve created a new application, it does THIS,
- I’d really appreciate it if you would download, and give it a try
- then give us some feedback on it and tells us what we did right and not right
- We’re very open for feedback.
In this example you’re not selling but asking for advice. Kill them with flattery, by not selling, but getting them engaged. Be vulnerable and admit you may not have the answer, but you’re open for feedback. This is authentic. Pushy sales is what’s not working in sales today.
How to Find Brandon Bruce
Brandon on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/brandonbruce/
Babble me to enter the drswing for Brandon’s swag!
Listen to past episodes to find ways to grow business quickly.
- Repeatable Success for Sales Development Reps with Brendan Barrett #188
- Startup Story Where Software Goes to Seed with Charlie Wiltgen #179
- Myths on Social Selling with Mark Hunter #142
- Understanding the Value of Testimonials #126
- 6 Simple Steps for Generating New Leads With Chris Helmers
- What Startups Need to Know about Business Development with Tim Allen #119