In this episode we meet the procrastination prevention partner Eric Twiggs. Eric and I have a lively discussion covering practical ways on how salespeople overcome procrastination. We talk about mindset, processes, and automation tools that can increase productivity and success.
The habit to accept is the ability to take action. If you put things off that take you away from your life goals, you will be frustrated and unsuccessful. The root of procrastination is due to a lack of goals and focus. Turn that around.
In sales sellers commonly struggle with:
- Following up
- Call reluctance
What’s the answer to overcoming this struggle? Eric says
“Know your numbers, ratios of calls per answers and sales advances. Know the number of your activities. Let the law of averages work to your favor. Know that optimists are commonly more successful in sales. Get the right attitude.”
But I Don’t Feel Like It
People often use their lack of interest as a reason to put off a task. Don’t let inertia keep you in place. Become aware of your personality type. Are you a Driver or a Motivator? By understanding yourself, you can overcome feelings, and displace it with habit and action.
Steps To Overcome Procrastination
- Turn off all notifications on your cell phone
- Use a smart phone app to automate your life
Eric spokes at length on his procrastination pyramid:
- Watch your attitude and don’t label yourself as a procrastinator.
- Be aware of your optimal times, power times and personality type.
- Animation, know your sleeping and exercise habits and control them.
- Automation – Understand what tools help and what tools hinder your productivity.
- Activity and taking action, over and over.
Take Action Advice
Don’t let perfect become the enemy of progress . Done is better than perfect.
How To Find Eric Twiggs
To learn more about how salespeople overcome procrastination go to his website www.ericmtwiggs.com
To find his new book go to www.ericmtwiggs.com/thedisciplineofnow
@thedisciplineofnow on Twitter
Get his free eBook “One Moment in Time Preparing Your Life For Your Defining Moment” Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Sales Babble!
Sales Skills Training
We have lots of other episodes on skills you can work on. Listen today!
- Selling In A Skirt with Judy Hoberman #170
- Memory Hacks for Sales Professionals with Brad Zupp #169
- How To Write A Successful Sales Plan with Jamie Irvine #168
- How Sales Can Help Buyers Help Themselves – Hugh Liddle #164
- 5 SuperPowers of Successful Sales Account Executives with David Kahn #156
- Persuasion and the Art of Influence with the Sexy Boss Heather Ann Havenwood #141
- Four Skills You Need For Sales Success – HEAT
- The Only Sales Guide You Will Ever Need Anthony Iannarino #130
- Understanding the Value of Testimonials #126
- Lessons Learned at a Software Startup with Johnny Campbell #124
Slidebean Examples Created for Sales Babble
As I mentioned here are couple slide decks that I created for two Sales Babble presentations. Enjoy!