Our guest is Jamie Irvine, an account manager and entrepreneur from Alberta Canada. Jamie believes to achieve big sales results every company needs to have a sales plan. A sales plan will help you to organize your activity. With a systematic approach you can move consistently towards closing sales. A sales plan establishes clear defined goals, priorities, timetables, and necessary resources. It is a roadmap to success. This plan must be understood by everyone in the company and focuses everyone’s attention on achieving and making sales. Jamie shares the key elements on how to write a successful sales plan. It’s not as hard as you think!
The Best of Sales Plans
There are a number of key elements to a sales plan. But first understand the “why” behind the need of a sales plan. It’s primary goal is to make sure you’re going in the right direction. Have a good plan, not perfect plan. Don’t get caught up in analysis paralysis and having no plan at all. The goal is to get started and work on it consistently.
Here are the elements on how to write a successful sales plan:
- Explain Why – First express the value of your sales plan. It’s important to understand the motivation for a sales plan. It will drive you to honor and follow the plan.
- Set measurable goals with defined outcomes – Activities are not enough. The desired results must clear. Without defined outcomes, sales goals don’t help you. Start with the ultimate goal of closing the sale and work backwards.
- Establish a timeline – Pick a schedule that is challenging but doable.
- Define your goals – Big goals, annual goals, and weekly to-do list goals to make this happen. Jamie uses a simple notepad. Breaks them up into alphabetical categories for precedence. Then numbers them 1 to N by importance.
- Identify barriers to success – Many times outside events are beyond your control. But you can learn how to deal with rejection and overcoming objections. That you can control.
- Outline the strategy and get everyone on board.
- Seek commitment from all the stakeholders – all roles need to support sales.
When developing a sales plan it is important that it is simple and that you take consistent action every day
How To Find Jamie Irvine
This is Jamie on LinkedIn
His blog post Jamie Irvine
This is the LinkedIn article How To Write a Successful Sales Plan that caught my attention and invited Jamie as a guest.
A Bit About Slidebean
Slidebean allows you to create stunning, professionally designed sales decks in minutes, not hours. Over 2,500 sales professionals have used Slidebean’s simple, yet robust presentation tools to successfully pitch clients around the world.
Slidebean’s state of the art presentation software allows you track your prospect’s progress within a sales deck, letting you know vital information such as how many times they’ve opened your deck, and how much time they’ve spent on each slide.
SlideBean in the Media
The free cloud-based presentation tool that is storming the business world with head turning content is being lauded by the press:
Past Episodes on Sales Process Improvements
Here are past episodes that discuss Value Selling and how to build a Value Proposition. Listen today!
- Master the Art of Closing the Sale with Ben Brown#161
- Sales Cycling and Startups with Jon Woodroof #145
- Wizard of Oz Sales Process with Steve Kloyda #137
- 4 Step Sales Framing Process with Aaron Janx #131
- Win Sales with Mindset Sequence and Systems with Johnny Campbell #123
- How to Sell To Government with Kevin Jans
- Why You Need a Sales Process an Interview with Randy Meier
- How to Sell Coaching Services with Julie Foucht #98
- How To Pitch a Magazine with Cherlyn Chong #97
- 8 morning Rituals for Sales Success with Rayven Perkins #93